From College to Beauty School: What You Need to Know About Making the Change
You want to change (or have already started the process of changing) from traditional college or university to beauty school. Congrats! That takes a lot of guts to do. We’ve had quite a few students transition from University of Nevada, Las Vegas to Aveda Institute Las Vegas. We know that the change can be hard. It can be intimidating. It can be scary.
We’re here to help you make it easy, exciting, and as quick as possible.
Here are a few things you should know about going from traditional college student to beauty school student.
You’re Going to Need to Figure Out Financials (Again)
Yeah, you’ve already gone through this at your other school. Because you’re starting somewhere new, you’ll need to do it again. We know, it’s everyone’s least favorite part about starting school, but if you do it right at the beginning, it will be done before you know it! We’ve established a strong team here at Aveda Institute Las Vegas, and we even have our very own Financial Aid Officer.
Our Financial Aid Officer’s job is to help you plan how you’re going to pay for your education. You’ll sit down and meet with our officer and figure out what’s going to be best for you. Each student at Aveda Institute Las Vegas is an individual with different needs. We can help you with transferring financial aid*, establishing payment plans, or looking at scholarships.
Help With Financial Aid*
Aveda Institute Las Vegas offers financial aid* to those who qualify in our cosmetology and esthetics programs. If you’ve already taken financial aid* to pay for education at another school, what you can transfer will depend on the award year and what you’ve used already. The award year starts on July 1 each year.
We know it gets a little confusing. That’s why our officer is well-versed in helping you through it. They can help you fill out your FAFSA® (Free Application for Federal Student Aid) if you haven’t already, they can help you get the right paperwork organized, or they can just help you figure out what you qualify for.
Looking for our school code? It’s 041476.
If you’re looking to pay with cash or pay throughout your time here, we can help with that, too. Our payment plans are made to be flexible. Bring in all your information and your ideal plan when you meet with our officer. We’re happy to help you create a payment plan that works for your timeline and financial situation.
You’re Going to Have to Tell Your Family
It’s no secret that there’s a stigma surrounding beauty school students. We want to help you extinguish fears that your family or other support system might have. If a career in beauty is what is right for you, you should pursue it with all your heart! That means you’ll need someone by your side.
Here are a few things you can talk about or do when you’re introducing the idea of attending beauty school.
- Bring your parents or other supporter into the school. Instead of relaying the information you learn about beauty school, take them with you on the tour.
- Learn all you can and have conversations about all the career opportunities. There’s more to a beauty career than just a salon. There’s plenty of opportunity to open your own business, work for a beauty corporation, or even becoming an online beauty sensation! Make sure your support network understands all of the potential outcomes of a beauty career.
- Talk about all the skills you’ll learn. Sure, cutting hair, giving facials, and applying makeup are all a part of our curriculum, but at Aveda Institute Las Vegas we teach more. We can teach you time management, business skills, networking tactics, and even business management.
- Know your plan. Don’t wait until graduation to plan your future. Plan out your future goals and career the day you start. Have your support system help you set goals.
- Be aware of the career projections. Did you know that the beauty industry is often full of what are called “recession proof” careers? Even during the Great Depression, cosmetology was booming. Everyone still wants to feel good! Even when everything else feels down.
You’re Going to Need Time
You’re starting school over again. Whether you dedicated a semester or years at another school, it can feel like taking a step back to start school all over again. What we’re here to tell you is that the time you spend in beauty school can be the best dedication of your time you can make. If you love beauty school, it will pay off to spend time learning the trade the right way. We have even more good news for you: our programs don’t require years in school.
Our cosmetology program can be completed in as little as 14 months. That’s less than the average time it takes to complete an associates degree!
Our esthiology program can be completed in even less time. You can complete our skin care education in as little as eight months. That’s less than a year to be on your way to a bright, new future.
14 months, eight months? Both options are a lot shorter than the two plus years that traditional colleges can require.
Not sure which program is right for you? Take our quiz and find out!
You’re Going to Love It!
We’re confident that if you love beauty, want a career you enjoy, and you’re ready to put in the work it takes to get it done, you’ll love beauty school! We have a positive, strong culture here at Aveda Institute Las Vegas, and we’re proud of our accomplishments. You should be proud of yours, too. Consider all that you want to do in life as you’re making the change. Does it start with several years in college or does it start with hands-on learning at Aveda Institute Las Vegas?
You’re on your way to a beautiful education! Just contact us to learn more about how to get started with the enrollment process at Aveda Institute Las Vegas!